Through the recently proposed Bill 36 we observe that distributed and online learning programs may be taking a a more significant role in our province's education systems. The amendments have broadened the scope of the available programs, and are extending their access to a greater number of students. Distributed and online learning have been targets for heated debates in the recent years; there are valid arguments for each side, but as long as the programs are properly implemented, it is an excellent supplement to our current education system.
Firstly, it is important to establish that learning is very subjective and therefore should not be "one size fits all"; what distributed and distance learning does is offer students more options. There is more flexibility for the student to decide when they do things and how they do things. In a traditional classroom, students have to complete the course according to the paces of their teachers, their peers, or according to the annual or semester based school schedule. While some argue that students won't be motivated enough to do any learning, it's an incredibly fallacious assumption. There are many students who are very self motivated, and these students should be able to be have this option. If online learning isn't suited for a certain student, they could simply just opt out; online learning in this case isn't intended to replace the system, but to supplement the system. This can relieve the overwhelming class sizes and would be more cost-efficient in the long term.
The other benefit is that with online learning students are able to take courses that they may not be able to otherwise take. Some students may be from remote areas, or the course may just not be offered in their schools due to lack of demand. With online learning they are able to have opportunities that extend further than what their schools offer, and students should have the freedom to pursue their interests. However, some may point out that oftentimes the material is just handed out and the instructors don't do a lot of personalized teaching. This may be true, but at the very least the organized resources are there and there is legitimacy to what they've learned. Even though there isn't much of personalized teaching, the instructors are nevertheless there to answer the problems or questions you have.
What Bill 36 proposes is not to completely eradicate the current public school system, but rather increase the opportunities for the students. Rather than to replace, it is intended to be complementary. There are undoubtedly some minor flaws, as with any education system, but the benefits clearly shine through. Learning is subjective, and traditional education may not be offering enough options for our students. Sure, it's different from how we've always done things, but if we set aside our prejudices it could really improve our current system; sometimes we need to stand at a distance in order to see on a broader perspective.
Resources:
http://www.fastweb.com/student-life/articles/3235-online-vs-classroom-which-is-right-for-you
http://cynthia-jones-shoeman.suite101.com/traditional-classrooms-versus-online-learning-a167865
http://www.technical-vocational-schools.com/online_classroom_learning.aspx
http://www.articlesbase.com/online-education-articles/pros-and-cons-of-online-education-for-the-world-citizen-250687.html
Hi Hannah,
ReplyDeleteWell written, I'd have to say I agree with most of your points. One thing that I think could make your post better however, would be formatting. Personally I found it tedious to read a giant wall of text, some paragraphing would be nice. Anna suggested that I add smiley faces and exclamation marks in order to sound nicer! :3
Noted, wall of text is gone. :) And you do sound nicer! I must say the tone of your typing is much friendlier now, I appreciate it.
DeleteGood job Hannah! I think you summed everything up here :) fully agree with you about allowing students to have more options and educational opportunities- you also did a great job clarifying the purposes of this change, and how it's not to eradicate or replace the current public school system.
ReplyDeleteOn a side note, I've run into a few troubles myself regarding online courses. Originally, I had planned to take a few more AP courses online next year, as they are not offered at FH. However, I was told that I cannot take over 2 spares next year to make space for the online courses. DL blocks will also be canceled next year. Due to shortage of school funding, students will have to have at least 6 courses a year at school. Though it's great that the government is allowing students more options, it feels like public schools haven't made the appropriate adjustments for these changes ):